Just when you want a quick supper ….
Sauteed onions and grated carrots, spiced with ginger and cinnamon, sweetened with a handful of raisins and a drizzle of agave syrup, zinged up with the salty tang of tamari and a dash of lemon juice.
Combined with light fluffy steamed rice.
Garnished with a swirl of tahini and a handful of fresh coriander leaves.
Recipe for fluffy rice, sautéed carrots and onions
Ingredients: (for 2)
- 2tbs.olive oil
- 2 large carrots
- 2 medium onions
- handful of raisins or sultanas
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
- 2cm finely grated fresh ginger
- Handy tip: for grated ginger, peel a stick of ginger and freeze it. Grate as much as you need straight from frozen, and pop it back in the freezer for next time.
- 4oz white rice – I used long grain basmati
- 1/2 pt hot water
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbs. tamari (or soy)
- dash of lemon juice
- 1 tbs. agave syrup ( or 1/2 tsp.sugar)
- Handful of fresh herbs – I used fresh coriander
- 2-3 tbs tahini
- Wash, peel and grate the carrots.
- Chop the onions.
- Soak the washed rice in a bowl of water for 30 mins.
- Heat a lightly greased saucepan for a minute or two. Add the drained rice and dry roast for 2-3 mins. Keep the rice moving using a wooden spoon, to avoid burning.
- Add the salt.
- On a high heat, add the hot water, so the water bubbles and sizzles, bring the rice to a rolling boil, and boil hard for 3 mins.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting, (use a heat diffuser if possible), cover the rice with a tight fitting lid and leave on the lowest heat – 10 mins.
- While the rice is cooking heat 2 tbs. olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add the onions and saute on a medium heat 5 mins.
- Add grated carrot and fry gently for a further 5 mins.
- Add handful raisins.
- Add fresh grated ginger.
- Add the spices. Keep stirring the pan to avoid burning. If the pan has a lid, put it on partially, to prevent the vegetables drying out too much.
- Continue cooking the vegetables until soft.
- When the rice is done, remove from the heat and leave to stand, with the lid on 5-8 mins.
- Then, fork the rice to fluff it up, and add it to the vegetables in the frying pan.
- On high heat fold the rice into the vegetables.
- Add tamari, lemon juice and agave (or sugar). Stir in. Taste and adjust flavours.
- Serve piping hot, with a swirl of tahini and a scattering of fresh herbs.
This dish is endlessly adaptable according to seasonable vegetables…. Sauteed spring onions and peas, or fried mushrooms and steamed broad beans, fried leeks and finely sliced cauliflower florets…. pine nuts instead of raisins.. ……would all work well….