This is an Indian dessert, that I’ve been making for years, and I believe I originally took it from a dessert by Mridula Baljekar who has long been a cooking guru of mine….
It’s an incredibly simple rich flavourful dessert…. minimum effort …maximum effect….
Serve as is …or with cakes or biscuits and a swirl of soya cream….
It really needs nothing…. it’s quite delicious as it is ….
STEWED APRICOTS IN APRICOT PUREE
- 300 gms. soft dried unsulphured apricots
- 400ml. water
- 60-70gms. sugar or agave syrup.
- Soak apricots in water f0r 12-24 hours.
- Transfer to a heavy saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then cover, and simmer on a low heat 20-25mins.
- Allow to cool for a while.
- With a slotted spoon, remove half the apricots and set aside.
- Transfer the rest of the apricots and the cooking water to a blender, and blitz to a smooth puree.
- Return puree to the saucepan, and add sugar/or/agave. Taste and adjust sweetener accordingly. Bring to a gentle simmer and stir, until sugar is dissolved.
This dish can be flavoured with such things as lemon juice, vanilla extract, brandy, cinnamon or nutmeg.
- If you wish to flavour the dish, then add the flavouring and then continue to simmer for a few minutes.
- Return the reserved whole apricots to the puree and allow to warm through.
This dish is delicious served slightly warm, so if preparing in advance, put on a low heat for 5-10 mins. just before serving.
VEGAN ALMOND, MARZIPAN AND APRICOT JAM CAKES
- 120gms. self-raising flour
- 60 gms. ground almonds
- 50 gms. sugar
- pinch of salt
- 60-70 gms. vegan spread such as sunflower spread – melted
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 80gms. vegan marzipan
- Several tbs. apricot jam
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, ground almonds and salt.
- Chop the marzipan into small pieces and mix in with the flour and ground almonds.
- Add the lemon juice, and then the melted vegan spread to the bowl of ingredients, enough to rapidly bring it together to form a soft dough. Don’t over work it.
- Wrap in cling film or place in bowl and cover, and leave to chill – 30 mins. minimum.
- Divide the dough into 12-16 pieces.
- Form each piece into a ball, and then lightly flatten.
- Indent the middle and put 1/2 – 1 tsp. jam in the indentation.
- Repeat with each piece of dough.
- Lay cakes out on a baking tray covered in lightly-greased baking parchment.
- Place the tray in the refrigerator and chill for 30 mins. minimum.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas Mk 4-5 / 180/190C 30 mins, until golden.
- Leave to cool before attempting to remove and placing on a cool rack to cool completely.