The skies are grey today. Steely grey. Mid-winter grey.
And it’s pouring with rain.
Time to curl up with a good book, and a slice of Tropical Banoffee Pie…..
Straight from the 1970’s, revamped + veganised: with a ginger crunch biscuit base, date puree, dark muscovado + coconut cream ‘dulce de leche’ caramelised sauce: infused with vanilla and lime, lemon and lime soaked bananas and coconut whipped cream….(with an optional dash of rum)……
… a little bit of vegan heaven…..
TROPICAL BANOFFEE PIE
- 200gms. vegan ginger crunch biscuits
- 60gms. vegan spread : suitable for baking
- 10gms. coconut oil
- 2 x 400ml. tins of coconut milk ( refrigerated overnight)
- 75gms. dark unrefined musocvado sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 25gms. golden caster sugar
- 3-5 bananas (depending on size)
- juice 2 limes
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 100gms. soft dried dates
- 200-300ml. water
- 10 – 15 ml. rum (optional)
- Open 1 tin of coconut milk and drain away the coconut water, which will have separated after refrigeration.
- Transfer the remaining coconut cream to a heavy saucepan and add muscovado sugar.
- Bring to boil, and boil on a medium-high heat for 12 mins, until the caramel sauce darkens and thickens. Add and stir in vanilla extract and juice 1/2 lime.
- Leave to cool, and then chill in refrigerator for 50-60mins.
- Place ginger crunch biscuits in a food processor and blitz until medium/fine ground.
- Melt vegan spread and coconut oil in a saucepan and add crumbled biscuits.
- Stir until evenly blended.
- Transfer biscuit mixture to a 24cm. diameter flan dish.
- Smooth evenly into dish, and press down to compact.
- Chill in refrigerator 30 mins.
- Bake biscuit base in pre-heated oven Gas Mk 4/ 180C for 15 mins.
- Allow to cool and then chill in refrigerator.
- Slice bananas, place in a bowl and pour in the juice of 1 lime, and juice 1/2 lemon. Stir to combine.
- Leave to marinade.
Prepare date puree:
- Place dates and 200-300ml. water in a saucepan and bring to boil. Simmer gently, covered, until dates are soft.
- Transfer dates to blender, with enough cooking water to create a smooth thick puree.
- Blend 1-2 mins.
- Add juice 1/2 lime, and blend for 10 secs.
- Allow to cool.
- Spread date puree evenly across the chilled biscuit base.
- Cover the date puree evenly with banana slices.
- Smooth the chilled caramel sauce – ‘dulce de leche’ – evenly over the bananas.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Prepare coconut cream topping just before serving:
- Take second tin of refrigerated coconut milk.
- Open and drain away coconut water.
- Transfer coconut cream to a deep-sided bowl. Add 25 gms. golden caster sugar.
- Whisk until whipped and light. ( 3-5 mins). Add optional rum.
- Cover pie with whipped coconut cream.
- Garnish with the zest of a lime.
Slice and serve.
… dream on ….