I do like tempeh. In many ways I prefer it to tofu, because it has such a great texture. It’s hard to find, in the UK anyway, so much so that my non-multi-tasking-partner is considering making it. He’s already in charge of kefir (but that’s another story)………. so what could possibly go wrong?
So, if you can find some, stock up, like I did, as it freezes very well.
Tempeh needs to be relaxed, in order to soak up a marinade successfully. This entails placing the piece of tempeh in hot water for 15 mins. Then slicing it into pieces and marinading it as long as possible.
ORIENTAL STYLE TEMPEH STIR-FRY WRAP
Makes 6 wraps
- 2-3 tbs. sesame oil ( or a hot oil of your choice e.g. rapeseed oil)
- 120 gms. tempeh( marinaded in advance)
- 500gms. mixed sweet peppers
- 50gms. mushrooms
- 75 gms. water chestnuts ( I used tinned)
- 70gms.spring onions
- 100gms. sliced bamboo shoots ( I used tinned)
- 120gms. peas
- 50ml. tamari/soy sauce
- juice 1 lime
- 25ml. agave syrup or maple syrup ( or 2 scant tsps. sugar)
- 60ml. water
- 2cm. chunk ginger, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 6 cloves
- 1.5 tsp. fennel seeds
- 2 tsps. cinnamon
- 1.5 tsps. sezchuan pepper seeds (or 50/50 mix coriander seeds and black peppercorns)
- 1 star anise
- *(or use chinese five-spice instead)
- Relax the tempeh, then cut into strips: approx. 5-10ml. thick and 4cm.in length.
- Mix marinade ingredients together, and then soak tempeh strips in marinade for as long as possible. All day is good, but a few hours will work fine.
- Mix spices together and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Wash and slice peppers into strips. Remove most seeds.
- Rinse bamboo shoots.
- Rinse and slice water chestnuts 2-3 ml. thick.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Wash and finely chop spring onions.
- Heat oven to 180C/ Gas Mk.4.
- Warm the wraps through : ( I used shop-bought wraps, but please feel free to make your own!)
- Place wraps of your choice in the pre-heated oven, either in a covered oven-proof dish or wrapped in silver foil, so they don’t dry out.
- Place a wok with a stand over a high heat.
- Add 2 tbs. oil.
- When oil is hot, add mushrooms. Fry 1 min.
- Add sweet peppers. Fry 1 min.
- Add tempeh strips ( reserve marinade). Fry 2 mins.
- Toss to avoid burning. Add a little more oil if absolutely necessary.
- Add sliced water chestnuts and bamboo shoots. Fry for a further 1 min.
- Keep everything moving in the pan, and keep the heat high.
- Add ground spices. Combine quickly and thoroughly. 30 secs.
- Add frozen peas. Fry for a further 1 min.
- Add spring onions. Fry 1 min.
- Add marinade, including ginger and garlic.
- Toss stir-fry to coat in sauce. 1-2 mins.
- Taste. Add more seasonings such as tamari/soy if wished.
Serve immediately on a pre-warmed dish.
I’ve served the stir-fry in a wrap with salad leaves, but it’s just as nice with noodles or rice. Up to you….
thanks for reading