I do like a dish that has stages that can be accomplished in an orderly fashion… 🙂
This is one such dish.
Sautéed aubergine slices, layered with sliced potatoes and sweet potatoes and a garlicky basil onion and tomato sauce. Topped with ground nuts and breadcrumbs. A delicious flavour combination: sweet,tangy, earthy and the fresh lemony pungency of basil.
Italian Aubergine Layered Bake
- 2-4 tbs. salt
- 2 Aubergines: approx. 450gms.
- 2-4 tbs. olive oil
- 1kg. mixed potatoes and sweet potatoes
- 1 Large onion
- 4 Large tomatoes: skinned
- 2tbs. tomato puree
- 150ml. water
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1tsp. paprika
- 2tbs. dried oregano
- big handful of fresh basil: approx 25gms.
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1tbs. olive oil
- 1.5 tsps. coarse ground black pepper
- 30gms. blanched almonds
- 20gms. pine nuts
- 2tbs. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 100gms. breadcrumbs
- Slice the aubergines into rings more than 5 ml. thick. Spread them out on kitchen paper, and sprinkle them liberally with salt. Leave for an hour.
- Wash the aubergine slices thoroughly, and pat them dry with kitchen towel.
- In a wide pan heat 2 tbs. oil, and sauté the slices in batches: 3-4 mins. on each side.
- Add a little more oil as necessary.
- Place them on a plate with kitchen towel to remove excess oil, and set aside.
- Peel, wash and slice potatoes no more than 5ml. thick.
- Place potato slices in a large pan of water, bring to the boil, and par-boil for 5mins.
- Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- Skin 4 large tomatoes, and chop up finely.
- Finely chop 1 large onion.
- Crush 5 garlic cloves.
- In a deep pan, heat 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Saute onions for 5 mins.
- Add crushed garlic cloves: fry 1 min.
- Add paprika + dried oregano: fry 1 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes.
- Add 2tbs. tomato puree and 150 ml. water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Simmer gently for 5 mins.
- Finely chop washed basil and add to tomato mix. Stir in and remove from heat.
- Dry roast almonds and pine nuts in a heavy skillet, until golden brown.
- Combine with breadcrumbs + nutritional yeast (if using) , in a food processor and blitz: 30 secs. – 1min.
- In a deep-sided lightly oiled oven proof dish:
- First layer : aubergines
- Second Layer: Sliced mixed potatoes
- Third layer: Tomato Sauce mix.
- Repeat layers finishing with a layer of tomato sauce.( I had three layers of each)
- Cover with silver foil.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven Gas. Mk.6 200C for 45 mins.
- Remove bake from the oven and remove silver foil.
- Sprinkle breadcrumb/nut mix evenly over top of bake and return to oven : 15 mins.
Serve with steamed greens, baby broad beans or french beans.