A savoury vegetable crumble with a spring in its step! Mushrooms, broccoli, broad beans, green beans, and spring greens… in a creamy garlicky sauce…. and with a light crumbly topping.
As a child, I thought crumble was a way of making stewed apple more palatable, but now I know better ! lol
So, for me, savoury crumbles started out as a bit of a novelty, I think I came across one in a Crank’s recipe book once upon a time, and thought…ooh…err…hmmm…
A savoury vegetable crumble often depends on root vegetables but this one has a light touch, that can only mean one thing….spring is in the air….somewhere….
…it really doesn’t take long to put together… and it’s definitely full of green loveliness!
Finally, before I get to the main event, there’s a lot of talk about protein and where vegans get it, and here’s a brilliant article that nails it as far as I’m concerned ………. so don’t worry … just eat your greens … as my mother used to say 🙂
SAVOURY SPRING VEGETABLE CRUMBLE
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 200gms. mushrooms
- approx. 350gms. broccoli
- 150gms. french green beans
- 130gms. broad beans (fresh or frozen)
- 80 gms. spring greens or kale
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 550ml. non-dairy milk
- 3 tbs. plain flour
- 2tbs. olive oil
- 3 tbs. nutritional yeast
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 0.5 tsp., ground black pepper
- 2 tbs. finely chopped parsley
- 4-6 finely chopped sage leaves
- 110gms. plain flour
- 50gms. vegan spread ( suitable for baking)
- 30gms. rolled oats
- 1 tbs. nutritional yeast
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
What to do:
- Slice mushrooms.
- Cut broccoli into small florets. Wash.
- Wash and trim green beans and cut into 3cm. pieces.
- Wash greens/kale and cut into thin ribbons.
- Crush garlic cloves.
- Saute mushrooms in 1 tbs. oil. 3 mins.
- In a deep pan, add 2ooml. water. Bring to boil.
- Add broccoli and french beans – simmer 2 mins.
- Add broad beans. Simmer 2 mins.
- Remove from heat and strain.
- In a deep casserole pan, on a medium heat add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- Then add 3 tbs. plain flour and mix thoroughly to form a smooth paste.
- Remove from heat and add 550ml. non-dairy milk. Whisk rapidly and thoroughly to avoid lumps forming.
- Return to medium heat.
- Bring sauce slowly to a gentle boil until the sauce thickens, stirring more or less continually.
- Lower heat and simmer gently – 2 mins.
- Add 3 tbs. nutritional yeast, + salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms, then broccoli and beans.
- Remove from heat and stir in ribbons of greens/kale.
- Transfer to a lightly-oiled baking dish. approx: 28cm x 28cm. and about 6-8cms. deep.
- In a food processor, place flour and vegan spread. Blitz on pulse until crumbs are formed.
- Add nutritional yeast and salt and pepper. Blitz 10 secs.
- Add oats. Blitz 10 secs. Until everything is combined.
- Spoon topping evenly over filling.
- Garnish with a handful of pine nuts.
- Bake in medium oven: Gas Mk.6/200C until golden. 20-30mins.
Nice with baked potatoes and roasted tomatoes …or as is …or maybe a crunchy salad?
Spring is in the Air