Grapefruit reminds me of my grandad. He loved it.
He used to have a special curved knife for slicing the fruit away from the peel. I wonder if they still exist? Probably…..
Somehow grapefruit seem to be out of favour, but here’s a nice way of spicing them up….
…and ‘Jus-Rol’ Croisssants … a gift for vegans…and they are really nice.
How to to do it:
Hot Spiced Grapefruit.
- 1 tin of ‘jus-rol’ vegan croissants ( makes 6)
- Enough grapefruit (I used 2 Ruby Grapefruit)
For two grapefruit:
- 4 tsps. maple syrup
- 1 tsp. cinnamon powder
- 1 tsp. ginger powder
For two savoury croissants:
- 50 gms. vegan grateable cheese
- 1 spring onion
- pinch of pepper
- 1 tbs. chopped parsley
- Open tin of croissants and follow instructions.
- Slice Grapefruit in half.
- Using a sharp serrated knife, cut around the edge of the fruit to separate the fruit from the peel, and then slice about 8 segments from the centre outwards. (see photo)
Drizzle each grapefruit half with 1 tsp. maple syrup.
- Mix cinnamon and ginger powder together, and sprinkle about 1/2 tsp.on each grapefruit half.
- Place on a grill pan under a pre-heated grill and grill until brown and bubbling slightly: 10-15 mins.
- Grate vegan cheese.
- Wash and finely chop spring onion.
- Mix cheese, spring onion, parsley and pepper together.
- The croissants take between 12-15 mins.
- With about 5 mins. to go, remove croissants from oven, and slice crosswise through croissants: but not all the way through.
Open up croissants, and stuff with cheese and spring onion mix.
- Fold croissants back together and return to oven until done.
- Remove grapefruit from under grill, and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Voila! Breakfast is ready!
Just a hot pot of coffee or maybe a cup of Turmeric Spiced Cocoa.
(click image for spiced cocoa recipe link)
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.