A deliciously hot, sweet, sharp, sour curry.
Cooked gently with a double lid to retain moisture and flavour.
It’s really nice.
Serve with fluffy white steamed rice…..
MUSHROOM AND SWEET POTOATO CURRY
- 3tbs. vegetable ghee / or grapeseed oil
- 250gms. mushrooms
- approx: 250gms. sweet potato
- 1 large onion
- approx. 200gms.large tomatoes
- 100 ml. water
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2cm stick of fresh ginger
- 2 tsps. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp.turmeric
- 1 tsp. chilli powder
- pinch of fenugreek
- 1.5 tsps. salt
- juice 1 small lemon
- 1 tsp.raw unrefined muscovado sugar
- Slice mushrooms.
- Peel and dice sweet potato. ( about 1 – 1.5 cm square).
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Peel and grate ginger.
- Grind spices and salt together to a fine powder.
- Skin and finely chop tomatoes.
- In a deep sided pan, heat 3 tbs. oil/ghee.
- Add finely chopped onion : saute 3mins.
- Add ginger and garlic: sauté 1min.
- Add ground spices and salt: sauté 20 secs.
- Add diced sweet potato. Reduce heat a little. Sauté: 3 mins.
- Add mushrooms. Sauté 2 mins.
- Stir to combine everything.
- Add chopped tomatoes and 100ml. water.
- Bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover with silver foil, and then place lid on top. Scrunch silver foil around edges of lid so nothing can escape! Ha.
- Reduce heat to lowest setting. Use a diffuser if necessary.
- Cook for 40 mins. or so, until sweet potato is tender.
- Shortly before serving, add lemon juice and sugar.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings and flavours accordingly.
- Stir in. Simmer for a further 5 mins.
Serve piping hot with steamed rice, coconut yogurt and a sweet chutney, and a handful of chopped fresh coriander.
The mellow sweetness of coconut yogurt goes particularly well with this hot, sweet sharp, sour curry.