Great little patties : eat them hot or cold: food to go:
or make a meal of them…they deserve it ! 🙂
Perfect, delicate, spicy, little patties….
… and here’s how:
Makes 16-18 patties
- 225gms. puy lentils
- 1.5 tbs. oil – vegetable ghee or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion
- 150gms. spinach
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2cm fresh ginger
- 2 tsps. coriander seeds
- 2 tsps. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 scant tsp.ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. chilli powder
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 750ml. warm water
- 2 tbs. chickpea/besan/gram flour
- 500gms. shortcrust pastry : white or wholemeal ( I used ready-made, but feel free to make your own!)
- 1 tsp. turmeric / 1/2 tsp. chilli powder/2 tbs. oil/2tbs. non-dairy milk to baste pastry.
- Peel and finely chop onion.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Peel and finely grate ginger.
- Wash and strain lentils.
- Wash and chop spinach into fine ribbons.
- Grind coriander, cumin, chilli, turmeric, pepper, and salt to a fine powder.
- In a deep sided pan,on a medium-high heat add 1.5 tbs. ghee/oil.
- Saute chopped onions: 5 mins.
- Add garlic and ginger: sauté 30 secs.
- Add ground spice and salt : sauté 30 secs.
- Add washed and strained lentils : sauté 3 mins.
- Add 750ml. warm water.
- Boil hard : 5 mins.
- Reduce heat to a low setting, cover, and cook gently until lentils are tender: 60 mins.
- Add spinach: cover and simmer: 10-15 mins.
- Toward end of cooking, remove lid, turn up heat. Cook for 15 mins. to drive off any extra liquid. Avoid burning.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings accordingly.
- Add juice 1/2 lemon.
- Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool: 15-20mins.
- Add 2 tbs. chickpea/gram/besan flour. Stir to combine.
- Roll out pastry to a rectangle approx: 60cm x 30cms.
- Cut out circles approx: 12cms. in diameter.
- Scoop excess pastry together and re-roll. (you could make triangular patties …but somehow these patties really need to be curved…?
- Makes approx. 16-18 circles.
- Mix 1 tsp.turmeric/1/2 tsp. chilli powder/2 tbs. oil/2 tbs. non-dairy milk together to baste and seal pastry.
- On a plate, baste one side of pastry circle with turmeric oil.
- Place 2-3 tsps. lentil mix in centre of pastry circle.
- Baste edges with turmeric oil.
- Fold pastry in half and seal.
- Cut a small hole in top of patties and baste with turmeric oil.
- Place on a lined, oiled baking tray.
- Repeat process for each patty.
- There will probably be a little lentil mix left over …but better to have too much than not enough…! 🙂
- Bake patties: Gas Mk 7/ 220C 25-30 mins. until golden.
Serve hot/warm or cold.
Try them with a crunchy cabbage/cucumber and radish salad with a spiced yogurt dressing….and a sweet hot chutney ….