Black Seed, also known as Nigella Sativa are quite possibly little gems of goodness.
…try googling it…it’s surprising what you find…
Thought I’d try using them in these simple spelt and oatmeal biscuits, which are a good, robust, little biscuit to go with vegan cheeses and sharp fruity chutneys and jellies.
Simple enough to make, and they store very well in an airtight container.
SPELT, OATMEAL, AND BLACK SEED SAVOURY BISCUITS
- 2oogms. wholemeal spelt flour
- 75 gms.oatmeal
- 10gms. black seed
- 2 tbs. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- good pinch of chilli powder
- 100gms. vegan spread suitable for baking
- 80 ml. cold water
+ : to coat:
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 7.5 gms. black seed
- 7.5 gms. sesame seed
- Place flour, oatmeal, 10gms. black seed, nutritional yeast (if using), salt, baking powder and chilli powder together in a large bowl.
- Mix thoroughly.
- Cut vegan spread into chunks.
- Add vegan spread chunks to flour mix and rub together to form crumbs.
- Add 80ml. cold water to flour/spread mix, and bring together quickly to form dough.
- On a board, roll dough to form a compact log : approx. 16cm in length and 5 cm. in diameter.
- Roll the log into a piece of cling film, and chill for 30 mins.
- On a baking tray, spread 7.5gms. black seed and 7.5 gms. sesame seed.
- Remove dough log from clingfilm, and baste surface with 1 tbs. olive oil.
- Then roll log in seeds to coat with seeds.
- Rewrap log in cling film and chill for a further 30 mins.
- Slice log into biscuits. approx. 5 ml. thick. (should make 24+++)
- Lay out on a baking tray lined with lightly oiled baking parchment.
- Flatten them out a little if needed.
- In a pre-heated oven: Gas Mk. 2/ 150C, bake biscuits for 25-40mins. until golden.
- *Length of cooking is very dependent on the type of oven: these little biscuits need to dry out properly to achieve a crumbly oaty texture…..*
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
These biscuits will store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Lovely and crumbly: nice with vegan cream cheese and redcurrant jelly …
Just a thought!
(click images for links)
……………………………………baked cashew cream cheese coated in herbs
Enjoy a little treat from time to time…
…whatever takes your fancy