Went to the local market last weekend and bought bunches of fresh watercress, some beautiful mustard greens and a selection of fresh mushrooms.
Simple good quality ingredients need simple cooking. Which is how this dish came about.
PASTA IN A TOFU AND WATERCRESS SAUCE + SAUTEED MUSHROOMS + MUSTARD GREENS
- 2 -4 tbs. olive oil
- 300gms. best quality mushrooms
- 40gms. pine nuts
- 200gms. silken/soft tofu
- approx. 50gms. watercress
- 3 garlic cloves
- approx. 50ml. water ( or a little more)
- 80ml.oat cream (or soy cream)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp.ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. tamari
- juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp. sweetener e.g. agave syrup
- 150 gms. pasta ( for 2) …I used gluten-free tagliatelle….
- 15 gms. fresh herbs. e.g. oregano, basil, chives
- fresh salad greens + balsamic dressing
- 1 tbs. nutritional yeast (optional)
- Roughly chop mushrooms.
- Finely slice garlic cloves.
- Chop herbs.
- Wash and roughly chop watercress.
- Dry roast pine nuts in a skillet for 3-4 mins. until golden brown and fragrant. Shake pan occasionally to avoid burning.
- Place tofu, watercress, pine nuts and 50ml. water in a blender and blend until smooth. ( Add a dash extra water if needed).
- Transfer sauce to a large saucepan.
- Cook pasta according to instructions on the packet.
- On a med-high heat, place a wide pan, and add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- When hot, add mushrooms and spread them evenly in the pan.
- The trick to sauté mushrooms successfully is to leave them and not push them around in the pan.
- Sauté the mushrooms for 5 mins.
- Scatter sliced garlic over mushrooms.
- Turn mushrooms over, add more oil if necessary and sauté for a further 5 mins. or so until golden and slightly crispy in places.
- Heat the sauce through gently, and add salt, pepper, tamari, lemon juice and sweetener.
- Taste as you go and adjust flavourings accordingly.
- Add oat cream and taste again. Make any further flavour adjustments then add half of the chopped herbs.
- When cooked, strain pasta and add to sauce. Combine.
Serve immediately. Scatter sautéed mushrooms, remaining chopped herbs and optional nutritional yeast over pasta.