Leek and Potato is a classic combination, and this is a recipe that gives them a new twist.
All my recipes are tried and tested, but equally, what I hope is that they offer ideas. This is just one way to make a tasty economical meal using the idea of stuffing baked potatoes…. I’ve used a particular selection of vegetables and flavourings, but there are many more out there…just waiting to be tried.
So here is a great, cosy, mid-week supper, using whatever you might have around (in this case I’ve got plenty of homegrown leeks, the last of my homegrown garlic 😦 … and a definite liking for indian spices…..)
SPICED LEEK STUFFED TWICE-BAKED POTATOES + MANGO SALAD
- Approx. 1.2kg. medium large baking potatoes… preferably organic…
- Approx. 400gms. leeks
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tbs. non-dairy yogurt ( I used soy yogurt)
- Juice 1 lemon
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- Heat oven : Gas Mk. 9/ 240C
- Thoroughly wash the potatoes. Pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Place in a baking tray and baste/ spray lightly with oil.
- Place them in a hot oven.
- After 10 mins. reduce heat to Gas Mk.7 / 220C.
- Bake for a further 50-60 mins. until just cooked.
- Remove potatoes from oven, and allow to cool until handleable.
- Leave the oven on.
- Wash trim and finely slice the leeks.
- Peel and crush garlic.
- Grind turmeric, chilli, cumin, coriander, salt and pepper together until a fine powder.
- In a wide pan on a medium heat add 1 tbs. olive oil.
- When hot, add sliced leeks. Sauté 15 mins.
- Add a drizzle more oil if necessary.
- Add crushed garlic, sauté 2 mins.
- Add spices and sauté: 30secs.
- Add lemon juice and allow to sizzle : 30 secs.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a large mixing bowl.
When the potatoes are sufficiently cool:
- Slice in half, and scoop out the inner cooked potato, leaving the skins intact, and add the potato to sautéed leeks.
- Repeat with each potato.
- Combine the potato and leeks well.
- Add 2-3 tbs. of yogurt and combine.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Stuff the potato skins with the spiced leek and potato stuffing and place in a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Scatter the stuffed potatoes with fresh coriander, a dash of salt and pepper, and a light drizzle/spray of oil.
- Return to the oven Gas Mk. 7/ 220C for 20-30 mins. until golden on top.
These stuffed potatoes are surprisingly nice cold, and equally easy to re-heat.
Serve with mango salad and sweet spiced chutney ….and chilli yogurt dressing..
or baked beans… roasted tomatoes….
any other ideas?