Here’s a nice idea, which is readily adaptable…for a tasty pizza where cheese is completely superfluous… all day long ! 🙂
For the base layer I sautéed finely grated courgettes with crushed garlic salt and pepper… and that worked out really well …will do again).
Ready-made vegan pizza bases are commonly available in the shops, but I can’t say that I’ve found one as good as home-made …and it really isn’t that much faff… you can even make a batch, and freeze the dough for future use….
Roasted Vegetable Pizza
for 3-4 pizzas
- 300gms. pizza dough …or ready-made pizza bases…
- 3-4 courgettes (approx. 750gms.)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 150gms. mushrooms
- 1 large sweet bell pepper
- 3 large beef tomatoes (aprox. 200 gms.)
- a handful or 2 of pitted olives
- 10-15gms. fresh herbs e.g. basil, chives, oregano….
- 1-3 tbs. olive oil
- Salt and Coarse ground Black Pepper
- Optional: 3 tbs. nutritional yeast
- Wash, and finely grate about 500gms. courgette.
- Thinly slice remaining 250gms. courgette.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Wash pepper, remove seeds and pith and slice into ribbons.
- Slice mushrooms.
- Wash and slice tomatoes.
- Finely chop fresh herbs.
To roast vegetables:
- Toss sliced mushrooms, sliced pepper and sliced courgette in 2 tbs. oilve oil with salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a roasting tin and roast in a very hot oven for 45 mins. or so.
Alternatively, chargrill sliced vegetables under a hot grill in batches.
- In a wide pan on a medium heat, add 1 tbs.olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add grated courgettes and crushed garlic, with a good pinch of salt and pepper. Combine well. Sauté for about 3 mins. Remove from heat.
- Stretch out pizza dough if using home-made and spread the pizza dough – (or place the ready-made bases) – on lightly oiled pizza /baking trays.
- Spread sautéed garlicky courgette on the pizza bases.
- Pile roasted/chargrilled vegetables on top.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs over vegetables.
- (If using chargrilled vegetables, drizzle a little oil over the vegetables).
- Scatter with black olives.
Place in a very hot oven for 12-15 mins.
Good with rocket salad and balsamic dressing!