Spanish flavours… roasted potatoes in a rich garlicky tomato sauce served with vegan aioli.
Mushroom bean burgers infused with intensely fragrant dried herbs…oregano…rosemary…sage and thyme…and with a chilli hit….
A great combination packed with powerful flavours.
PATATAS BRAVAS + HERBED MUSHROOM BURGERS + VEGAN AIOLI
makes 6 – 70gm. burgers
more than ample for 2
- 2 tbs. hot oil – such as grapeseed oil
- 1 tbs. olive oil.
- approx. 600gms. potatoes
- 350ml. tomato passata
- 1/2 large red onion
- 3 tbs. tomato puree
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1/2 – 1 tsp.salt
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
Herbed Mushroom Bean Burgers:
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- 2-4 tbs. hot oil – such as grapeseed oil
- 100gms. mushrooms
- 1/2 large red onion
- 225gms. pre-cooked / tinned beans – a hearty bean such as kidney beans
- 10gms. dried mixed herbs : rosemary, thyme, sage, oregano….
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 tbs. chia seeds
- juice 1/2 small lime
- 20ml. water
- 4 tbs. vegan mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves
- juice 1/2 small lemon
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 1 -2 tbs. of water / or non-dairy milk
- pinch salt
- pinch pepper
- Pre-heat oven Gas Mk. 9 / 240C.
- In a baking tray, pour 2 tbs. hot oil and put the tray in the oven to heat the oil.
- Peel wash and cube potatoes – about 2 cm. (no bigger).
- When the oil is hot ( 10 mins.?) remove tray from oven and put the cubed potatoes in the tray and toss carefully in the hot oil.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and return to the oven.
- Roast for 45-50 mins. until the potatoes are golden and crispy on the outside, and tender in the middle.
- Half way through cooking the potatoes, turn them in the oil to crisp up all sides.
- Peel and finely chop 1/2 red onion.
- Peel and crush 3 garlic cloves.
- In a deep-sided saucepan, place 1 tbs. olive oil, on a medium heat.
- Saute onion: 3 mins. until golden.
- Add crushed garlic. Saute 30 secs.
- Add tomato passata.
- Bring to the boil, and then simmer, partially covered: for 10 mins.
- Add tomato puree and combine well.
- Add salt, pepper, chilli powder and gently simmer further, partially covered, until sauce thickens. 20 mins?
- Add vinegar, sugar, and further seasoning according to taste.
- Simmer 5 mins.
- Remove from heat and leave covered, allowing time for the flavours to mellow and blend.
- Taste and adjust flavourings as desired.
- Re-heat sauce 10 mins. before serving.
Mushroom Bean Burgers:
- Chop mushrooms fairly finely : 1/2 cm?
- Finely chop 1/2 red onion.
- In a wide pan, on a medium heat, add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- Saute mushrooms for 8-10 mins.
- Add finely chopped onions and saute for a further 3 mins.
- Add ground dried herbs, chilli powder, salt and pepper.
- Saute for 30 secs.
- Remove from heat.
- Grind 1 tbs. chia seeds, and combine in a small bowl with lime juice and water for 10 mins.
- In a large bowl, place the pre-cooked beans and mash roughly.
- Add sautéed mushrooms, soaked ground chia seeds and combine thoroughly.
- Form burgers ( 6 x 70gms.) and coat them lightly in maize meal.
- Chill the burgers for 20-30 mins.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- In a jar with a good lid, place all the ingredients: vegan mayonnaise, crushed garlic, lemon juice, oil, milk/or water, salt and pepper.
- Put lid on tightly and shake vigorously.
- Taste and adjust seasonings and thickness.
- Transfer to serving bowl and chill until ready to serve.
- Finely chop a handful of fresh parsley.
Bring everything together:
- In a wide pan, place 2 tbs. hot oil.
- Saute mushroom burgers for about 4 mins. on each side until golden and crispy on the outside. Add a little more oil as necessary.
- Reheat tomato sauce for 10 mins.
- Place spoonfuls of piping hot tomato sauce in a bowl.
- Scatter roasted potatoes over the sauce.
- Spoon aioli over the potatoes and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Have as many burgers as you fancy….
Any left over burgers can be reheated and are great in a bun with rocket salad and chilli pickle…???