Rosti is a Swiss dish, (definitely germanic swiss rather than latin swiss…) and is a crispy potato pancake which is often eaten for breakfast. It’s a very simple recipe, but I think there’s an art to getting it just right: golden and crispy on the outside, and soft and melty in the middle.
I’ve served it here with a salad of chicory and orange with a strong mustard dressing … bitter, tangy and sharp flavours cutting through the mellow oily warmth of the pancake..
I hope you enjoy this lovely mix of contrasting flavours.
SWISS POTATO ROSTI + CHICORY AND ORANGE SALAD WITH A MUSTARD AND SPRING ONION DRESSING
- 750gms. potatoes
cook’s note: some use waxy potatoes…some use floury …I used floury…try it both ways…
- 2-3 tbs. good quality vegan spread or a hot oil such as grapeseed or vegetable ghee…
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 150gms. chicory
- 2-3 small oranges
- 2 handfuls of rocket
- 4 good tsps. mustard: such as dijon
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 – 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. sweetener (I used agave)
- 70 ml. olive oil
- 2 spring onions
- Peel, wash and then slice the potatoes very thinly – either with a mandolin or a sharp knife.
- Then, in batches, pile up the potato slices and cut them into very thin matchsticks.
- Place the potato matchsticks in a bowl and rinse thoroughly in water to remove excess potato starch.
- Dry the matchsticks with kitchen towel, squeezing out all excess fluid.
- Set aside.
- Wash and trim chicory, then remove leaves one by one.
- Peel and slice oranges.
- Wash rocket and pat dry.
- Arrange salad in a bowl and set aside.
- Wash, trim and finely chop spring onions. Set aside.
- Peel and crush garlic.
- Place all ingredients except chopped spring onions, in a bowl, and whisk thoroughly to combine.
- Taste. Adjust seasoning as desired.
Bring everything together:
- Preheat oven to Gas Mk. 5 / 190C
- Place a lightly oiled baking tray in the oven.
- Put the dry potato sticks in a bowl and scatter 1/2 of salt and 1/2 of pepper over them.
- Toss to combine.
- In a wide pan, on a medium heat, add 2 tbs. oil or vegan spread.
- When the oil is hot, add the potato matchsticks and allow them to sit loosely in the pan.
- Sauté on a medium-high heat for 3 mins.
- Using a spatula, form the potato pancake. (see photos)
- Reduce heat to medium and sauté 2 mins.
- Then shake the pan to loosen pancake.
- Reduce heat so the pancake sizzles very gently, and sauté for 8-10 mins. Avoid burning.
- Slide the pancake onto a heat resistant tray or plate.
- Place a plate over the pancake and then invert both, to turn the pancake upside-down.
- Add 1 tbs. oil / vegan spread to frying pan.
- Slide rosti into the pan with uncooked side down.
- Sauté 8 mins. or so.
- Remove warm baking tray from the oven and slide cooked rosti onto the tray and return to the oven.
- Bake the rosti for 15-30mins. Cooking time may vary, it depends on the oven heat and the thinness of the potato sticks.
- Check that the centre of the rosti is soft (remove a strand of potato to test).
- 5 mins. before serving, add chopped spring onions to mustard dressing.
- Transfer cooked rosti to a serving board, slice and eat.
Serve with a delicious salad ….or alternatively crack open a tin of baked beans 🙂