It’s my hundredth post …so I thought I’d bake a cake 🙂 …and what better… than another sfouf …sweetened this time with molasses and date syrup…. light and moist …and not overly sweet …with complex flavours: anise…molasses…dates…turmeric … cocoa powder… roasted almonds and sesame…
A Lebanese semolina cake.
Sweetened with Molasses and Date Syrup
- 250gms. coarse semolina
- 120gms. plain/ all purpose flour
- 1.5 tsps. turmeric
- 2.5 tsps. baking powder/soda
- 2 tsps. cocoa powder
- 120ml. melted vegan spread…suitable for baking
- 160ml. molasses
- 20ml. hot water
- 150ml. non-dairy milk such as oat milk or nut milk
- 70ml. date syrup
- 3tsps. anise (+ another 2 tsps. for decoration)
- 25 or so blanched whole almonds
- 15gms. sesame seeds
- 2 tsb. tahini (creamed sesame)
- Pre heat oven to Gas Mk. 5 / 190C.
- Roast almonds, on a non-stick baking tray, in the pre-heated oven for 10 mins. Until golden. Set aside.
- Using a pastry brush, baste the inside of a baking tin with tahini: (see cook’s notes).
I used a square tin : 30cm. x 30cm. As sfouf means ‘rows’, a square tin seems appropriate.
It helps considerably to use a tin with a spring-form base, for easy removal of the cake….
It’s possible to use a round tin, and a slightly smaller tin …but if the cake mix is too deep it’s unlikely to set properly…
- Grind 3 tsps. anise to a fine powder.
- Combine the flours, baking powder, ground anise, turmeric and cocoa powder together thoroughly.
- Add melted vegan spread to the flour, and mix together.
- Mix molasses with 20 ml. of hot water, to loosen the molasses.
- Add molasses, cold non-dairy milk and date syrup to flour/ vegan spread mix.
- With an electric whisk, whisk everything together for 5-7 mins. Until you have a nicely aerated, thick smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking tin.
- Grind 2 tsps. anise and combine with sesame seeds.
- Scatter sesame seeds/anise over the top of the cake.
- Decorate with roasted almonds.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 mins. Until a knife or skewer comes out just clean. Don’t overcook as it will become dry…
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely in the tin.
Slice and eat.
Sfouf 1 (click image for link)
can’t believe it’s 100 posts! 🙂