Spaghetti, Broccoli and Peas in a Broccoli Sauce.
Light, fresh, mellow, earthy, full of the flavours of Italy…. Garlic, Basil, Pepper and Sage. When I conceived of this dish, I expected to add soy or oat cream to the sauce, but I think using all the broccoli stalks added a creaminess to the sauce that needed nothing extra. So.. no cream… just creaminess….!
Let me know what you think?
I love the idea of vegetables in a sauce using the same vegetable…I’ve done it before with peas, and also with cauliflower. It works somehow…..
A word for protein… not only does broccoli contain protein but also immune strengthening minerals and powerful anti-oxidants. To complete the protein picture of this dish I added 3 tsps. of hemp powder, which contains all the amino-acids needed. It enhances the mellow earthiness of the broccoli and the sage… and is abundantly healthy!
SPAGHETTI CON UNA CREMA DI BROCCOLI
- 2 tbs.olive oil
- approx: 600gms. broccoli
- 1 large white/yellow onion
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 20gms. fresh basil (or 2-3 tbs. dried basil)
- 3 gms. fresh sage leaves ( or 2 tsps. dried sage)
- 1.5 – 2 tsps. salt
- 1 – 1.5 tsps. ground black pepper
- 50gms. pine nuts
- 300gms. peas (fresh(podded) or frozen)
- 600ml. water
- 250gms. spaghetti (enough for 4)
- entirely optional: 3 tsps. hemp powder
- Peel and roughly chop onion.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic.
- Divide broccoli in half.
- With one half of the broccoli: trim, wash, remove all thick stalks and create small evenly sized florets with the rest.
- Retain the stalks.
- With the second half of the broccoli: wash, trim and roughly chop.
- Chop all stalks fairly small (including stalks from first half).
- In a saucepan on a high heat, place 2 tbs.olive oil.
- When oil is hot, add chopped onion and garlic : sauté 3 mins.
- Add the roughly chopped broccoli half, plus all stalks from the first half.
- Add 600ml. water.
- Bring to the boil, then cover, reduce heat, and simmer until broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 mins. or so.
- Place broccoli with onion and cooking water in a blender, and blend until completely smooth.
- Then add 10gms. fresh basil (or 1-2 tbs. dried basil) and 3 gms. sage leaves (0r 2 tsps. dried sage) to the blender.
- Blitz again until smooth.
- Return sauce to saucepan.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add hemp powder if using. Stir in thoroughly.
- Cover but do not heat until 10 mins. before serving. This sauce doesn’t need excessive cooking….
- Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet for 3-4 mins until golden and fragrant. Remove from heat.
- Chop remaining 10 gms. fresh basil (if using).
Bring everything together:
Pasta doesn’t like waiting, neither do steamed vegetables….. 🙂 …it’s all in the timing….
- In a steamer, place the small washed broccoli florets, and cover with the peas.
- Prepare spaghetti according to packet instructions.
- Steam broccoli and peas for 5-7 mins until tender.
- Reheat sauce until gently simmering.
- When spaghetti is done, strain thoroughly and add to sauce.
- Stir through and serve immediately.
Garnish with pine nuts and fresh chopped broccoli (or a tbs. dried basil).