A quick delicious supper for 2.
Here’s a recipe for a hot, sharp, flavourful, fresh vegetable and noodle broth with Thai flavours.
The broth is flavoured initially with a chilli and garlic paste…and miso is added at the end to give it real depth.
Can be easily adapted to different vegetables, noodles or rice….
THAI HOT NOODLE AND VEGETABLE BROTH
ample for 2
- 3-5 hot red chillies
- 1/2 sweet red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves
- 3 tsps. galangal paste (or thai green curry paste)
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 tsps. sugar or 1.5 tsps. agave syrup
- 100ml. water
- 2 tbs. oil e.g. sesame oil
- 800 ml. – 1 litre water
- 1 stalk of lemon grass
- approx. 200gms. pak choi
- approx. 100gms. sugar snap peas
- approx. 100gms. spring onions
- approx. 150gms. carrots
- approx. 100gms. mushrooms
- 150gms. noodles of your choice (I used pre-cooked rice noodles for convenience)
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder (optional)
- 3 tbs. tamari or soy sauce
- juice 1 lime
- 20gms. of a dark hearty miso + 50 ml. water
- Place the paste ingredients (chillies, sweet pepper, garlic, onion, galangal, sweetener and water) in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Wash, trim and chop pak choi.
- Wash and trim sugar snap peas. De-string if necessary.
- Wash, trim and slice spring onions.
- Wash, peel and slice carrots.
- Trim and slice mushrooms.
- Cook’s note: all the vegetables should be reasonably chunky, and evenly sliced…
- If noodles need pre-cooking – follow packet instructions.
- Combine miso with 50ml. water to form a smooth paste.
- In a wok, on a stand over a high heat, add 2 tbs. sesame oil.
- When hot, add the chilli paste and sauté for 3 mins. until fragrant.
- Add stalk of lemon grass.
- Add chilli powder if using (this depends on how much heat you prefer).
- Add 800ml. of water. Add up to 200ml. more as necessary during cooking.
- Bring to simmering point.
- Add sliced carrots. Simmer 5 -7 mins.
- Add sugar snap peas and sliced mushrooms. Simmer 3 mins.
- Add noodles. Simmer 2 mins.
- Add pak choi. Simmer 1 min.
- Add spring onions. Simmer 1 min.
- Remove lemon grass stalk.
- Add 3 tbs. tamari.
- Add miso paste and stir in to combine and warm through. Avoid boiling the miso as it can destroy the enzymes present.
- Add juice 1 lime.
- Taste. Adjust flavours: a little more tamari or chilli or lime juice or sweetness?