A Lazy Susan is one of those things that sits in the middle of the table, on which you put all the dishes of food, and spin it round so you don’t have to lean over to get one. This salad/dip/sandwich filling/ baked potato accompaniment etc. ….lets the blender take the strain. It goes round and round and then its done! 🙂
LAZY NANCY SALAD DIP
- 1 medium ripe avocado
- 250 gms. cooked beans ( I used tinned flageolet)
- 2-3 garlic cloves ( how garlicky do you like it?)
- 3 spring onions
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- juice 1 small lemon
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- big pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 large carrots
- 2 sticks celery
- 2 spring onions
- 15 gms. fresh herbs ( I used basil, parsley and coriander)
- Peel and de-stone avocado. Discard peel and stone.
- Rinse cooked beans.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Wash and trim 3 spring onions and roughly chop.
- Place: avocado pulp, cooked beans, garlic cloves, 3 chopped spring onions, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in the blender and blitz until smooth. Completely smooth.
- Add a dash of water if the blender complains….(but not too much)
- Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- Wash and peel carrots.
- Slice carrots into rings about 10 ml. thick.
- Wash, trim and roughly chop celery.
- Wash trim and roughly chop 2 spring onions.
- Wash and chop fresh herbs.
- Place carrots, celery, spring onions and fresh herbs in the blender with the smooth avocado/bean paste.
- On a low pulse setting, blitz in the vegetables until they are reasonably finely chopped, but definitely not blended smooth….it should be quite coarse and substantial.
- Transfer everything into a bowl and chill.
- Serve drizzled with a little olive oil, a scattering of fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Variations: try adding a couple of tbs. of tahini, or some chilli powder… other vegetables could include cucumber, radishes, sweet pepper or even beetroot. It would be pretty in pink!
For my own amusement I served this dip in little boats of crispy romaine lettuce 🙂
But this would make a great filling for ciabatta, panini sandwich etc. or a baked potato filling packed with goodness…. or a dip with crackers …..
One way or another…
or should that be lazy food for busy days…?