Potatoes marinaded in a spicy, lemony, creamy sauce and then baked until tender.
What could be simpler?
An economical, minimal-effort midweek meal that ticks the comfort-zone box too.
Have to say that I grow my own potatoes which have started appearing around now, but any firm, floury potatoes will do just fine. They just need to be roughly the same size.
for 4 (depending how hungry you are 😕 )
- 1 tsp.oil (to baste baking dish)
- 4 medium-sized potatoes
- 150 ml. non-dairy yogurt (I used plain coconut yogurt)
- 180 ml. non-dairy cream (I used coconut cream)
- 1 tbs. chickpea flour (aka gram/besan)
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 3 cm. stick of fresh ginger
- 1.5 tsps. cumin seeds
- 1.5 tsps. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 0.5 – 1 tsp. chilli powder (depends how hot you like it)
- pinch of fenugreek
- 1 scant tsp. salt
- juice of 1 large lemon
- Wash the potatoes and run a knife gently around the circumference of each potato to lightly cut through the skin.
- Place the potatoes in a saucepan with enough cold water to cover, and a pinch of salt.
- Bring to the boil, and then par-boil rapidly for 15 mins.
- Strain the potatoes and leave to cool until handleable, (but still warm).
- Remove the potato skins. The small cuts made before cooking should help.
- Slice the potatoes in half.
- Lightly grease a baking dish and place the potatoes cut side down in the dish.
- Peel garlic cloves.
- Peel ginger.
- Place all the marinade ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the marinade over the potatoes in the dish and leave to marinade for 2 hours or more. All day is just fine.
When ready to cook:
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mk. 5 / 190C.
- Cover the tandoori potato dish with silver foil.
- Place the potato tandoori in the oven for 20 mins.
- Remove from the oven, remove the foil, and baste the potatoes by spooning over the marinade in which they are cooking.
- Return to the oven, without silver foil.
- Repeat basting process after a further 15 mins.
- Turn the oven up to Gas Mk. 7/ 220C
- Return the potatoes to the oven for another 15 mins.
- Test the potatoes for tenderness with a sharp knife.
- Baste one last time, and cook for a further 10 mins. or so until potatoes are completely tender.
A versatile dish, scrumptious as is, with pickles, spiced chutney, non-dairy yogurt and chopped coriander garnish.
Or as an accompaniment to another curry such as mushroom curry, or, as I did here, a quick spiced pea and green pepper curry.
Or even with a salad. Nice re-heated, or even cold….
Versatile 🙂 like I said 🙂 …