A beautiful, bejewelled, crunchy, colourful salad, with raw, crisp, fresh cauliflower as a base, and a great deal more besides.
Cauliflower is fabulous raw, it has a wonderful texture and happily absorbs whatever flavours you might choose. And it seems to have a completely different air about it when raw (rather than cooked)….it’s sweet, nutty and fragrant…
My redcurrant bushes (of which I have two, with their fruit just beginning to ripen), gave me the idea for this salad, but redcurrants are readily available in the shops, and really do add a juicy zing to this salad bowl.
with a lemony dressing
should serve 4
- 1 cauliflower: approx: 750gms.
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 120gms. fresh redcurrants
- 1/2 green sweet/bell pepper
- 2 large spring onions
- 60gms. soft pitted dates
- 6-8 breakfast radishes
- 20 gms. fresh parsley
- 40 gms. almonds
- 100ml. olive oil (organic cold-pressed extra-virgin preferably)
- 40- 50ml. lemon juice (taste as you go)
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- big pinch chilli powder
- 1.5 – 2 tbs. agave syrup ( or maple syrup)…maybe start with 1 tbs. …taste as you go…
- Wash cauliflower.
- Discard all leaves and tough stalks.
- Slice, chop and dice the cauliflower florets and tender stalks until it is quite crumbly, and resembles tabbouleh (cooked bulgur wheat).
- Place the crumbled cauliflower in a serving bowl, and add juice 1/2 lemon. Toss the cauliflower in the lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- Wash redcurrants (remove stalks if necessary).
- Remove pith and seeds from green sweet/bell pepper and finely dice.
- Wash trim and finely slice spring onions.
- Finely slice dates.
- Wash, trim and finely slice radishes.
- Finely chop parsley.
- Roughly chop and lightly toast almonds in a dry skillet for 1-2 mins.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Place all the dressing ingredients in a jar with a tight lid.
- Screw on the lid 🙂 and shake the jar vigorously until thoroughly combined.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
15 mins. befor serving:
- Construct the salad:
- Add redcurrants and green pepper to the cauliflower.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Add spring onions, radishes and then the sliced dates.
- Add the finely chopped parsley. Toss gently to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad, toss to combine, and then scatter the toasted chopped almonds.
That’s it! Done.
A delicious accompaniment to veggie burgers etc.
…or else a lovely bowl of goodness all on its own 🙂