A simple soup, easy to prepare, and deliciously, heart-warmingly good. Cooking at its best: no-nonsense…no fuss.
This soup is back to basics: carrots, potatoes and onions…
… + a handful of lovely, delicate baby broad beans.
btw. I’m starting a new category: cooking for 1.
It might seem odd introducing a pot of soup that serves 4 as cooking for one , but I remember when I lived on my own I was always looking for ways of making batches of food so I didn’t have to cook everyday. This soup stores chilled very well because it contains no dairy.
Also, you can add something new when reheating a portion, such as a handful of frozen peas, some pre-cooked haricot beans, chopped spring onions or a small tin of sweetcorn.
All the fresh ingredients are, on this occasion, homegrown by me ( 🙂 ) , but they are readily available in the shops all year round. As you can see, there are very few ingredients! 🙂
A word for fresh herbs: they are just such a boon in the kitchen, and it’s really easy to grow them on a reasonable sunny window sill these days ( in fact a lot of them don’t like sun all day) … and they add flavour and fragrance to soups, stews, salads … etc.
Hope you like it 🙂
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- 750gms. potatoes (preferably organic)
- 300gms. onions
- 250gms. carrots
- 200gms.baby broad beans (fresh or frozen)
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1L vegetable stock (GF)
- A big bunch of mixed fresh herbs : fennel, dill, mint, oregano, parsley, sage, basil / OR / 2-3 tbs. dried mixed herbs
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper to taste
- optional: dash of cider vinegar or lemon juice
- Wash and cube the potatoes approx. 1.5 cm. square. (I didn’t bother to peel them … up to you!)
- Peel and finely chop onions.
- Wash, peel and finely slice carrots.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Wash and finely chop the herbs.
- In a deep-sided pan, on a medium heat, add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- Add 2 bay leaves and let them sizzle for 30 secs.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Prepare 1 litre vegetable stock using boiling water. (Just follow instructions for powdered veggie stock).
- Add crushed garlic to the onions and sauté for a further 1 min.
- Add washed diced potato cubes to the pan. Sauté for 2 mins.
- Add hot vegetable stock.
- Bring to the boil, and then cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 10 mins.
- Then add washed, sliced carrots, put the lid back on, and simmer for a further 15-20 mins. until potatoes + carrots are just tender.
- Transfer half the vegetables and cooking juice to a blender, and blend until smooth.
- Return the blended vegetables to the pan.
- Taste and season accordingly: I added 1 scant tsp. salt, 1 tsp. ground black pepper, and a dash of cider vinegar. Stir to combine.
- Add the broad beans and half the finely-chopped herbs.
- Simmer for a further 10 mins. and then stir in the remaining herbs.