A traditional Greek dish. This is another one of those recipes that absolutely transcends the sum of its parts. I don’t know why. It just does. It contains the simplest of ingredients and you can more or less throw it together and stick it in the oven. And it’s just incredibly moreish and delicious.
My courgette plants (aka zucchini) have taken off. And as anyone who’s ever grown courgettes will know, once they start, they just don’t stop. Blink and another one appears. Hence the emergence of recipes such as courgette cake ….and courgette jam… But that’s way down the line. The end of the line is when courgette growers eventually resort to leaving piles of courgettes on next-door-neighbours doorsteps in the dead of the night. I’ve no doubt it shall come to that 🙂
But these are my first, young, fresh and tender courgettes…and this is an utterly sane and simple recipe. A few everyday ingredients, and the patience to slice everything reasonably finely is all that’s required. Plus 90 mins. or so baking time.
- approx. 600gms. courgettes aka zucchini
- approx. 400gms. onions
- approx. 1 kg. large potatoes (preferably organic)
- 5-7 garlic cloves
- 3-4 tbs. olive oil
- a big handful of fresh herbs (20gms.?) : greek basil and oregano if poss.
- 400ml. tomato passata + 50ml. water
- Cook’s note: this dish really needs salt and I recommend Himalayan salt every time 🙂
- Pre-heat oven to Gas. Mk. 5-6, 190-200C.
- Wash trim and finely slice courgettes into rings.
- Peel, cut in half and finely slice onions into half rings.
- Wash and finely slice potatoes. (Peeling is optional). Slice the potatoes quite finely, otherwise the cooking time will increase dramatically.
- Peel and finely slice garlic cloves.
- Combine, wash and finely chop fresh herbs.
- Use a large baking dish (mine is 32 x 25 x 7 cm.).
- Pour 2 tbs. olive oil into the dish.
- Add half the sliced onions and toss in the oil.
- Spread the onion rings out in an even layer.
- Arrange half the sliced courgettes/zucchini over the onions.
- Scatter half the sliced garlic over the courgettes.
- Arrange half the sliced potatoes over the courgettes.
- Drizzle the potatoes very lightly with another 1 tbs. or so of olive oil.
- Scatter about 0.5 tsp. salt over the potatoes and a few twists of ground black pepper.
- Scatter half the chopped herbs over the potatoes.
Repeat the layers:
- The rest of the chopped onions.
- The rest of the sliced courgettes.
- The rest of the sliced garlic.
- For the next layer, only use half the remaining sliced potatoes, reserving the last portion of potatoes for a nice crispy top layer.
- Scatter the second layer of potatoes with a pinch of salt and another few twists of ground black pepper.
- In a jug, mix 400ml. passata and 50ml. water together.
- Pour the passata evenly and carefully over and into the vegetable layers.
- Scatter most of the remaining chopped herbs.
- Arrange the last portion of sliced potatoes over the entire dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Scatter a final pinch of salt and a few more twists of black pepper along with the rest of the chopped herbs.
- Place in the oven and cook for 90 mins. or so, until the potatoes are tender and the potatoes in the top layer are golden crispy around the edges.
- When done, remove from the oven and allow to settle for a few minutes before serving.