This is an easy and delicious little recipe born of the need to do something with my harvest of broad beans. They’re late this year because of the weather but they’re now coming fast. I love them. And they’re so easy to blanch and freeze. My garlic crop was good this year too 🙂
The sauce is french-inspired, has few ingredients and is creamy without the cholesterol 🙂 . This dish would be great with mashed potatoes or as a posh snack on toast, or fab. with garlic bread! Trés Français!
Quick and simple to make. If you prefer not to use wine, then try lemon juice or cider vinegar with some vegetable stock to give the sauce a tang.
Certified GF cornflour/cornstarch will make this dish absolutely gluten-free.
Hope you like 🙂
MUSHROOMS AND BABY BROAD BEANS IN A GARLIC, WHITE WINE AND CREAM SAUCE.
- 3-4 tbs.olive oil
- 200gms. baby broad beans (fresh or frozen)
- 200gms. mushrooms (I used chestnut)
- 2-3 large garlic cloves
- 100ml. vegan white wine (or juice 1/2 lemon made up to 100ml. with light vegetable stock).
- 200ml. non-dairy cream (oat cream or soy cream – coconut cream would probably be too sweet)
- 2 tsps. cornflour / corn starch + 2-3 tsps. water.
- 0.5 tsp. salt
- 0.5 tsp. ground black pepper
- 2 sprigs of tarragon / or 1 tsp. dried tarragon (optional but nice)
- Slice mushrooms approx 3-4 ml. thick
- Peel and crush garlic cloves
- Wash, trim and finely chop fresh tarragon if using.
- Mix cornflour/corn starch with a enough water to form a smooth not-too-thick paste (2-3 tsps?).
- In a wide pan, with a lid, place 3 tbs. olive oil. Place the pan on a fairly high heat initially.
- When hot, add mushrooms. Spread them out in the pan.
- The key to sautéing mushrooms is not to move them around. Let them fry for 3-4 mins. until golden, and then turn them once, and fry the other side for 3-4 mins.
- Add a dash more oil if necessary. Adjust heat as required.
- Add crushed garlic, stir in and sauté for 30secs.
- Add broad beans, stir to combine and sauté for 1-2 mins.
- Add 100ml. white wine (or juice 1/2 lemon made up to 100ml. with light vegetable stock).
- Allow to sizzle for a few seconds, and then reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer gently for 5-7 mins. until broad beans are tender.
- Maintaining a low heat, add salt, pepper, tarragon, vegan cream and cornflour paste. Stir gently and thoroughly to combine. Taste and adjust seasonings as required.
- Simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for 3 mins. or so … until the sauce has thickened.
Serve as a side to veggie burgers, or on toast or with some vegan-buttery mash for a real comfort supper 🙂