Bowls of unmitigated goodness… three incredibly simple summery soups: broccoli, courgette and lettuce….
We’ve all heard the stories about how the goodness of vegetables evaporates into the water they’re cooked in, so one sure way of making sure you still get the goodness is soup.
These three recipes are very quick to do, and don’t benefit from over-cooking….although making a batch and freezing… or refrigerating and quickly re-heating…is just fine … 💚
…. the broccoli soup is velvety smooth …..
… the courgette soup is surprising in it’s sweet freshness …
.. and the lettuce soup is complimented with the sweetness of peas and the coolness of mint ..
Hope you enjoy….
GREEN GODDESS SOUPS
approx. servings : 3-4
- 1 large head of broccoli approx. 500gms.
- 1 large onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 500-700 ml. light vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- Wash, and roughly chop broccoli into similar sized pieces.
- Include almost all the stalks except the toughest. Cut the stalks quite small so they don’t lengthen cooking time.
- Peel and roughly chop onion.
- Peel and roughly chop garlic cloves.
- In a deep-sided pan (that has a lid) on a medium heat, add oil.
- When the oil is hot, sauté chopped onion for 3 mins.
- Add garlic, sauté for 1 min.
- Add chopped broccoli and enough warm vegetable stock (500ml.?) to just cover broccoli.
- Bring to a gentle boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 mins. until broccoli is just tender.
- Place everything in a food processor and blitz until velvety smooth.
- Return to the pan.
- Add more vegetable stock if required to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste. Add seasoning accordingly.
- Warm through and serve immediately.
Cook’s note: I started making this soup some years ago, and I’m always surprised how good it tastes, given that it’s just courgettes… water and a dash of salt. This recipe really brings out the sweetness of courgettes. The salt is an important ingredient…. I always recommend Himalayan Pink Salt.
- 1500gms. Courgettes aka Zucchini
- 1200-1500 ml. water
- 0.5 – 1 tsp. salt
- Trim, wash and slice courgettes evenly, into rings about 3-4 ml. thick.
- Place sliced courgettes in a deep-sided pan (that has a lid) with 1200ml. water.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and then cover and simmer until courgettes are just tender.
- Transfer to a food processor and blitz until smooth.
- Return to pan and add salt. Taste as you go.
- Add more water if needed to adjust thickness of soup.
- Warm through for 10-12 mins. or so.
- Serve immediately.
Lettuce, Pea and Mint Soup
- 2 heads of lettuce, such as Butterhead, Romaine or Cos : approx. 300gms.
- 350 gms. peas ( fresh (shelled) or frozen )
- 30gms. fresh mint
- 0.5 tsp.salt
- 0.5 tsp. pepper
- 800 ml. water
- 2 scant tbs. olive oil
- Wash, trim and roughly chop lettuce.
- Wash mint, and remove tough stalks. Roughly chop.
- Shell peas (if using fresh peas).
- In a deep-sided pan (that has a lid), on a medium heat, add olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add lettuce. Reduce heat.
- Stir, and then cover for approx. 3 mins. to allow lettuce to wilt. Avoid burning.
- Add mint and peas.
- Add salt and pepper.
- Add water.
- Bring to a gentle boil, and then reduce heat, cover and simmer 8-10 mins.
- Transfer everything to blender and blitz until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pan.
- Taste. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Warm through for 5 mins. or so.