Like many french dishes, Gratin Dauphinoise is simple, just a few perfectly matched ingredients.
I grew some beautiful patty pan (summer squash) this year, which, like courgettes, arrive thick and fast…. and they just keep on coming🙃 . Mine are white, and creamy and mellow in flavour. There are however, all sorts of varieties of summer squash available in good vegetable stores.
I thought they’d be a delicious addition to a Potato Dauphinoise, vegan style.
And they are. I’ve made this dish 3 times already 💕💕💕
I use oat cream here (infused with onion, garlic and herbs), which is of course much lighter than its cholesterol-laden dairy counterpart, but as far as I’m concerned, this dish is all the better for that. The summer squash add a different and lovely creaminess to the dish.
It’s easy to prepare, needs to be cooked long and slow, (while keeping just an occasional eye on it), and it doesn’t re-heat particularly well. So you just have to eat it all at once …damn it 😉
Hope you enjoy 💚
POTATO AND PATTY PAN GRATIN DAUPHINOISE
- approx. 1kg. of reasonably waxy potatoes preferably organic
- approx. 1 kg. summer squash
- 500ml. non-dairy cream : either soy or oat (not coconut) maybe almond?
- 1 small onion
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- handful of thyme and or tarragon
- a little olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mk. 4-5 , 180-190C. (Not too hot… the gratin needs to cook slowly).
- Peel and roughly chop garlic.
- Peel and roughly chop onion.
- Wash herbs.
- In a saucepan with a lid, place the non-dairy cream, the chopped onion, chopped garlic and herb sprigs.
- Place the pan on a low-medium heat.
- Just before it boils, remove from heat and cover.
- Set aside and leave to infuse for 15-20 ins.
- Wash potatoes. Peel (optionally- I didn’t) and finely slice potatoes into rounds approx. 2ml. thick.
- Slice summer squash in half and remove seeds and pith.
- There is no need to peel summer squash.
- Slice squash thinly into crescent shapes approx. 3-4 ml. thick.
- Take a ceramic oven dish, approx: 34 x 22 cm.
- Grease the dish liberally with olive oil. Take a slice of garlic and rub the garlic around the dish.
- Take 1/3 of the sliced summer squash and make the first layer in the dish.
- Take 1/3 of the sliced potatoes and make a second layer covering the squash.
- Scatter a big pinch of salt and a few twists of coarse-ground black pepper over the potatoes.
- Make a second layer of sliced squash over the potatoes.
- Then a second layer of potatoes. Again sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Then add final layer of squash, followed by a final layer of potatoes. (The crispy bit :))
- Scatter the top with another pinch of salt and a few more twists of pepper.
- Strain the oat cream to remove the herbs and vegetables. Pour the oat cream gently into and over the gratin.
- Grate approx. 1/2 tsp. fresh nutmeg over the whole dish.
- Place in a pre-heated oven for 60-75 mins. until potatoes are tender (check with a sharp knife), and the top is golden and crispy round the edges.
Serve as is, with salad, or, as in this case, with lightly sautéed/steamed savoy + pinto beans…. mmm…