Molee is a light, fresh curry sauce, from the Keralan region of India, consisting of a delicately flavoured coconut sauce.
It’s quick and simple, shouldn’t be cooked for too long, and is open to all sorts of variations. I’ve used tofu and mushroom here, but I think it would be fantastic with all sorts of vegetables, such as finely sliced carrots, peas, baby broad beans or a traditional Indian vegetable such as okra.
Hope you enjoy 🙂
TOFU AND MUSHROOM MOLEE
- 4 tbs. coconut oil
- 1 large onion
- 125gms. mushrooms e.g. chestnut mushrooms
- 150gms. good firm tofu (I used a smoked tofu but plain is just fine)
- 400ml. coconut milk
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- 4cm. stick of fresh ginger
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2-3 green chillies (not too hot)
- 8 green cardamom pods
- 0.5 tsp. black peppercorns
- 4 cloves
- 1 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- juice of half a lemon
- 3 or 4 large fresh ripe tomatoes
- Peel onion. Cut into quarters. Then finely slice.
- Slice mushrooms approx: 3 ml. thick.
- Slice tofu into strips approx: 1cm. x 1cm. x 3 cm.
- Peel and finely grate ginger.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Cut tomatoes in half, and then slice into segments approx. 3 ml. thick.
- Remove and discard seeds from green chillies and then finely slice.
- Bruise cardamom pods and remove seeds.
- Grind cardamom seeds, cloves and black peppercorns together.
- In a wide pan, on a medium high heat: add 2 tbs. coconut oil.
- When hot, sauté sliced mushrooms for 2 mins. on each side.
- During the last minute of cooking, add tofu and combine.
- Remove from heat and set aside.
- On a medium-high heat, place a deep-sided casserole (with a lid) and add 2 tbs. coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add bay leaves and mustard seeds. Allow to sizzle for 30 secs.
- Add sliced onion. Sauté for 2-3 mins.
- Add green chillies, crushed garlic and grated ginger. Sauté for 1 min.
- Add spices: ground cardamom/cloves/black pepper, turmeric, and salt. Sauté for 30 secs.
- Add mushrooms and tofu. Stir to combine.
- Add coconut milk and lemon juice. Stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer. Avoid boiling.
- Cover, and reduce heat to minimum. I used a heat diffuser.
- Simmer very gently for 6-7 mins.
- Remove the lid, and place the tomato segments over the sauce.
- Replace the lid, and simmer gently for a further 3-4 mins.
Serve immediately: it’s delicious with rice……