OK … I know … another bean stew … but there are just so many possibilities 🙂
This one is distinctly rustic in character … lots of rough chopping … and strong flavours.
Traditionally it includes chorizo …which I don’t do … so instead I’ve added tempeh, marinaded in tomato puree and tamari, and lightly sautéed in olive oil. It’s a hearty warming stew, and you can practically throw it together. So not much faff!
ANDALUSIAN BEAN STEW
- 3 tbs. olive oil
- 2 sticks of celery
- 1 large white onion
- 1 sweet pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves
- 200 ml. white wine (vegan wine obviously 🙂 )
- 800gms. large juicy tasty tomatoes
- 100ml. water
- 500 gms. pre-cooked beans – I used a mix of kidney beans, black-eyed beans and pinto
- 1.5 tsps. salt
- 1 .5 tsps. coarse ground black pepper
- good pinch of paprika
- handful of chopped parsley
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- 200gms. tempeh
- 40gms. tomato puree
- 3 tbs. tamari
- 100 ml. water
Tempeh: (prepare in advance)
- ‘Relax’ the tempeh by placing the tempeh in a dish and amply covering with just boiled water.
- Leave for 15 mins.
- Remove the tempeh from the water and chop into chunks approx.1 cm. square.
- To make the marinade, combine the tomato puree, the tamari and 150ml. water until you have a smooth paste.
- Put the chunks of tempeh in a dish and cover with the marinade. Leave for up to several hours, and a minimum of 1 hour.
- Trim, wash and chop celery.
- Peel and roughly chop onion.
- Trim and chop sweet pepper.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Cut a cross in the top of the tomatoes, and place in a bowl.
- Amply cover the tomatoes with just boiled water and leave for 10 mins.
- Skin the tomatoes and discard the skin.
- Chop the tomatoes into fairly small pieces.
- In a deep-sided casserole pan (with a lid), add 3 tbs. olive oil.
- Place on a high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped celery, onion and sweet pepper.
- Sauté for 8 mins. Stir to avoid burning.
- Reduce the heat to medium, and add crushed garlic.
- Sauté for 1 min.
- Add the white wine. Allow to sizzle and simmer for 3 mins.
- Add chopped tomatoes, 100 ml. water, paprika , salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, and then reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently for 15 mins.
- Add pre-cooked beans.
- Stir the beans in and re-cover.
- Simmer for approx. 45 mins.
- Meanwhile, in the last 15 mins of cooking time, remove the tempeh from the marinade.
- Add the marinade to the stew.
- Taste the stew and adjust seasonings as desired.
- In a wide pan, on a high heat, add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- Sauté the tempeh for approx. 5 mins. turning occasionally to avoid burning.
- Add the sautéed tempeh to the stew, along with a handful of finely chopped parsley.
- Allow to simmer for 5-8 mins. or so and then serve immediately.