This is one of the quickest and simplest recipes anyone could wish for.
I often think that any meal, vegan or otherwise, is all about the sauce.
So here’s a recipe for a vegan pasta sauce that is very versatile and supremely adaptable.
I’ve used frozen peas, but try steamed broccoli, or sautéed mushrooms, carrots cooked in vegan butter or blanched spinach. Just replace the peas with about 200 gms. of another vegetable, cooked appropriately, and blended with the cream.
Flavourings may vary too: basil… paprika…nutmeg …to name but a few.
You could also use something else instead of the mushrooms…e.g. steamed asparagus, baby broad beans or just a handful of pitted olives.
It really is that easy… use what you have to hand. Italian style.
Today I’ve used some fancy, gluten-free and very delicious, red lentil pasta that I happened upon, but any pasta will do, particularly penne or fusilli …..
I’m also in love with ‘Oatly’ at the moment : cream, crême frâiche and of course, milk.
All available in some UK supermarkets now. Which is fab.
For this recipe I use the oat cream, but unsweetened soy cream will do just as well.
PASTA IN A CREAM PEA SAUCE
with sautéed mushrooms
- 200gms. frozen peas
- 250ml. non-dairy cream: oat or unsweetened soy cream
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. coarse ground black pepper
- squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Pasta: 150-180 gms. (enough for 2)
- 200gms. chestnut mushrooms
- 2-3 tbs. olive oil
- Peel and slice the garlic cloves.
- Bring a pan of water to the boil. Enough water to cover the peas.
- Add the frozen peas and boil for 2 mins.
- Strain the peas, and place in a food processor with the non-dairy cream.
- In a deep-sided pan, on a medium-high heat, add 1 tbs. olive oil.
- When hot, add the sliced garlic and sauté for 1 min. until golden.
- Add sautéed garlic with the oil to the peas and cream in the food processor.
- Add salt and pepper to food processor.
- Blend everything on a high setting until completely smooth.
- Pour the sauce into the pan you just used to sauté the garlic.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Set aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to packet instructions.
- Slice the mushrooms, about 5 ml. thick.
- In a wide pan on a high heat, add 2-3 tbs. olive oil.
- When the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and sauté for 4 mins. on each side.
Bring everything together:
- When the pasta and the mushrooms have about 5 mins. cooking time left, place the pan of sauce on a medium heat and bring to a very gentle simmer.
- Add a small squeeze of lemon juice (optional).
- Don’t overcook the sauce as it will lose its freshness.
- When the pasta is done, strain it and add it to the sauce. Stir in carefully.
- Warm everything through for 1-2 mins.
- Serve immediately scattered with sautéed mushrooms and a handful of rocket, a garnish of chopped parsley and a few twists of black pepper.