On a gloomy, rainy day (like today) there’s nothing better than a bowl of perfectly cooked porridge.
Traditionally porridge is flavoured with a good pinch of salt, and drizzled with a little cream if it’s particularly cold outside! Salted porridge is worth trying, and surprisingly good!
I’ve added some blueberries to the mix, simmered for a few minutes, so they get just hot enough to pop juicily in the mouth 🙂
Add extra fruit, a little vegan cream (optional), and a drizzle of your favourite sweetener.
Cook’s note: certified gluten-free oats will make this dish gluten free.
- 40gms. rolled oats (not jumbo oats unless you like your porridge really chewy! )
- 300 – 325ml. of cold water
- A tiny pinch of salt
- 50 gms. of fresh blueberries
- A drizzle of your favourite sweetener ( I used fruit syrup)
- A little oat cream (optional) (or other non-dairy cream)
- Extra fruit of your choice
- Place a non-reactive pan on a low heat and add the rolled oats, 300ml. of cold water and a tiny pinch of salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer, and then reduce the heat to a minimum, and cook very slowly, uncovered, for 10 mins.
- Stir the porridge gently from time to time to avoid sticking.
- After 5 mins. add the washed blueberries.
- Add a little extra water only if necessary for the right consistency (max. 25 ml?)
- Cook gently for the remaining 5 mins., stirring occasionally, until the porridge is smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a bowl and drizzle with a little sweetener, and non-dairy cream (if using).
- Garnish with more blueberries, and fruit of your choice.
Rainy Day Peace