When my ‘to do’ list seems to grow every day (despite my best efforts to get it all done), instead of diminishing, I turn to pasta.
It’s so easy, so versatile … and well …so amenable.
And there’s such a fabulous variety of vegan, and sometimes gluten-free pasta easily available now….here’s the one I used today : gluten-free, green pea pasta, made in Italy.
What could be better?
There’s been a fuss in the UK media lately, because it’s been suggested that we increase our vegetable consumption from 5 portions a day, to 10. For the sake of our health. You’d think the sky had caved in the way some people have been talking. Obviously, for vegans this doesn’t present a problem. Because we couldn’t really manage without at least 10 portions of fruit and vegetables a day, could we?
So, back to the pasta. I’ve really been loving how easy it is to make beautiful pasta sauces with vegetables. I’ve done a few now.
Today, it’s the turn of mushrooms.
But before I go any further, I also want to mention that I’ve got myself a new gadget. A spiraliser. And despite my general suspicion of a lot of kitchen gadgets, I think I’m liking this one.
So here is a ‘5 portions of vegetables in one’ quick and easy recipe, that’s full of the joys of spring!
Pea Pasta in a Mushroom Sauce on a bed of spiralised steamed Courgette served with steamed tender-stem Broccoli, fresh herbs and a handful of rocket.
- 2-3 tbs. good quality olive oil
- 250 gms. mushrooms (I used chestnut) : roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves: peeled and crushed.
- 250ml. non-dairy cream ( I used oat cream)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 0.5 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 gms. fresh herbs : e.g. basil, chives, parsley : finely chopped.
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Enough pasta for 2 : 150 gms. ?
- 1 medium courgette approx. 125 gms. : washed, spiralised or finely sliced.
- 125 gms. broccoli (I used tender stem) : washed and prepared for steaming by removing tough stalks, and cutting into evenly sized florets.
- Salad leaves e.g. rocket : washed and prepared.
- 5 gms. fresh herbs e.g. basil, chives, parsley : finely chopped for garnish.
- In a wide pan, add olive oil and place on a medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the roughly chopped mushrooms and sauté for 4 mins.
- Add the crushed garlic, combine and sauté for 1 minute more.
- Place the mushrooms, the non-dairy cream, salt, pepper, lemon juice and herbs in a blender.
- Blitz until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Pour into a deep-sided pan, and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables. If you don’t have a spiraliser, simply slice the courgette finely.
- Cook the pasta according to instructions.
- Steam the vegetables for 3-5 mins. until tender.
- As the vegetables are steaming, heat the mushroom sauce gently until piping hot but not bubbling or boiling.
- When the pasta is cooked, strain and then add the pasta to the sauce.
- Combine and simmer gently for 1-3 mins.
Serve immediately, with steamed vegetables and salad.
Garnish with chopped herbs, and optionally, vegan parmesan or nutritional yeast + coarse ground black pepper.
Yes. it really is that simple to cook a delicious meal…
with 5 of your 10-a-day vegetables 🙂