This is a delicious, vegan version of a hearty black bean stew, courtesy of Brazil. Packed with rich flavours: the warm smokiness of smoked paprika, the tartness of tomatoes and the sweetness of sweet potato and mango.
As long as you’ve got some pre-cooked black beans (I used Turtle Beans) to hand, this dish is easy to put together and doesn’t take too long to cook.
I love these rich bean stews: check out my category ‘All About Beans’ for bean recipes from around the world.
Hope you enjoy!
Feijoada. Brazilian Black Bean Stew.
Ingredients and prep:
- 2 tbs. olive oil.
- 1 medium onion (approx. 120 gms.): peeled and chopped.
- 1 carrot (approx. 80 gms.): washed, peeled and diced about 1cm. square.
- 1 sweet potato (approx. 200 gms.): peeled, washed and diced approx. 1.5cm. square.
- 1 small sweet green or red pepper (approx. 100 gms.) washed, sliced (remove seeds and pith) and finely diced.
- 3 large cloves garlic: peeled and crushed.
- 1 ample tbs. smoked paprika.
- 1/2 tsp. chilli powder.
- 1 good tsp. salt.
- 450 gms. cooked black beans. (I used Turtle Beans).
- 400 gms. chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned. If using fresh tomatoes, skin them first before finely chopping).
- 2 tbs. tomato puree.
- 250 ml. light vegetable stock.
- 1 small perfectly ripe mango. Peeled and dice (approx. 1.5 cm. square).
- Place a large deep pan, (with a good-fitting lid), on a medium high heat.
- Add 2 tbs. olive oil.
- When hot, add chopped onion and sauté for 3 mins.
- Add the diced carrot, sweet potato, and sweet pepper. Sauté for a minute or two.
- Stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to minimum, (I used a diffuser), cover, and simmer gently for 15 mins. or so, until the sweet potato is just tender.
- Remove lid, and bring heat back to medium.
- Add crushed garlic. Stir to combine. Sauté for 30 secs.
- Add spices and salt. Stir to combine and sauté for 30 secs.
- Add chopped tomatoes, tomato puree, vegetable stock and the black beans.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 – 20 mins.
- Uncover, add diced mango, and simmer for a further 5 mins.
Serve piping hot with steamed or sautéed greens and flat breads / tortilla.
Garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves / cilantro.