A classic Viennese sweet pastry with an autumnal twist. A deliciously simple, vegan version packed with autumnal goodness. Also sugar-free :).
Great with morning coffee, or served as a dessert with cream, custard or ice-cream. I’ve been collecting blackberries and apples in the last week or two, so I couldn’t resist adapting the traditional version of apple strudel which usually includes raisins, and pack it with the flavours of autumn.
Hope you enjoy!
Apple and Blackberry Strudel.
Ingredients and prep:
- 6 sheets of filo pastry: approx 28 cm. x 40 cm. Keep chilled until ready to use.
- 700 gms. apples (I used autumn eating apples with a tangy flavour). Peeled, cored, quartered and sliced.
- 200 gms. blackberries.
- 75 gms. sweetener: I used agave syrup. (If using sharp cooking apples, such as Bramleys, add more sweetener. Maybe another 50 gms. of agave).
- Juice of 1 small lemon.
- 2 tsps. cinnamon powder.
- 1/2 tsp.grated nutmeg.
- 100 gms. vegan spread suitable for baking.
- 65gms. breadcrumbs.
- Mix sliced apples, sweetener, spices, lemon juice and blackberries together. Stir gently to combine. Avoid crushing the blackberries.
- Melt 25 gms. vegan spread in a wide pan on a medium heat.
- When hot, add the breadcrumbs, and sauté until golden. About 5 mins. Stir constantly to avoid burning.
- Add the breadcrumbs to the apple mix, and stir gently to combine.
- Set aside.
Make the Strudel:
- Pre heat oven to Gas Mk. 5 / 190C.
- On a low hob heat, melt the remaining 75 gms. of vegan spread in a small saucepan, to baste the filo pastry sheets.
- Lay a clean kitchen towel, or pieces of kitchen roll out on a flat counter.
- Carefully unroll the sheets of filo.
- Lay one sheet out on the kitchen towel and baste with melted vegan spread, using a pastry brush.
- Lay the second sheet on top of the first.
- Baste the second sheet.
- Repeat this process until all 6 sheets are used. Baste the final sheet.
- Take the apple mixture, and spread it evenly along the pastry lengthwise, about 5 cm. in from the edge. (see pics.)
- Using the kitchen roll to assist, flip roll the pastry edge over the filling, and continue to roll until the seam of the pastry is under the strudel, and the roll is complete.
- Fold in the side of the end edges and then slide the strudel onto a large baking tray lined with greased baking parchment.
- Tuck the pointed ends under the strudel.
- Baste the entire strudel with the remaining melted vegan spread.
- Cut 8 diagonal slits in the top of the pastry approx:2 cm. long.
- Bake strudel for 40-45 mins. until golden. (You may need to turn the strudel once halfway through baking for an even colour).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Serve either slightly warm, or at room temperature.
As is, or with cream, or custard or ice-cream….mmm..
Season of Mists and Mellow Fruitfulness