Dense, moist and with a zing of citrus, this semolina cake would be a great finish to these Egyptian-style dishes:
(click images for links)
BASBOUSA. ORANGE AND LEMON SEMOLINA CAKE. TOPPED WITH CINNAMON POWDER, DESSICATED COCONUT AND TOASTED PINE NUTS
- 75gms good quality vegan spread ( such as sunflower spread)
- 130gms. sugar (for the cake) …I used golden caster…
- 230gms. semolina
- 150ml. non-dairy yogurt
- 1.5 tsps. baking powder
- 60ml non-dairy milk ( I used oat milk)
- 2 unwaxed lemons
- 1 large orange
- 120gms. sugar (for the syrup)
- approx 150ml water
- 5-7cm stick cinnamon (optional)
- 2 star anise (optional)
- 2tsps. cinnamon powder
- 3tbs. desiccated coconut
- 30gms. pine nuts (optional)
- a few drops orange extract (optional but gives it a real zing)
- Preheat oven Gas Mk 4 / 180C
- Melt the vegan spread gently in a saucepan.
- In a large mixing bowl, add the sugar, then the non-dairy yogurt. Mix together. Add semolina, baking powder and non-dairy milk. Mix well.
- Add the melted vegan spread. Stir in until you have a smooth mix.
- Add the zest of the lemons and the orange.
- Pour into a lightly oiled dish 20-24cm diameter.
- Bake for 35-45 mins.
- Prepare the syrup.
- Take the juice of the 2 lemons and the orange, and make up to 180ml. with water.
- Add to a heavy small saucepan with 120gms sugar, cinnamon stick and star anise if using.
- Bring gently to the boil, allowing sugar to dissolve.
- Boil on a med.-high heat for 5 -8 mins.until the syrup begins to thicken.
- Remove from the heat, add orange extract if using, and allow to cool.
- When the cake is done: firm to the touch and golden on top, remove from the oven and, with a cocktail stick make tiny deep holes across the surface.
- While the cake is still hot, pour the cooled syrup evenly over the cake.
- Toast the pine nuts in a hot dry skillet for 3 mins. until golden.
- Mix cinnamon powder and desiccated coconut together.
- While the top of the cake is still nice and sticky, sprinkle with cinnamon/coconut mix, and then scatter toasted pine nuts.
- (*Or another topping of your choice: ground almonds, chopped nuts, nutmeg.)
- Allow the cake to cool completely.