I love a quick curry don’t you? All you need for a winters’ night. Mushrooms are ideal because they don’t take long to cook, but you can always use other vegetables : just take note of how long they need to cook properly before adding to the sauce …and vary cooking times accordingly. Think this would also be good with firm sautéed tofu? No?
I think this combination is very tasty though ….
Using classic ingredients and one of the classic cooking methods too…. (to make a simple onion paste – you will need a blender)
SUPER QUICK MUSHROOM CURRY (serves 2)
- 1 large onion (I used red onion) about 200gms. – roughly chopped
- 3cm. chunk of fresh ginger – peeled and chopped
- 4-5 large garlic cloves – peeled and roughly chopped
- 5-7 tbs. water
- 450 gms. mushrooms (I used large chestnut mushrooms) – medium sliced (see pics.)
- 250 gms. tomatoes ( I used 2 large beef tomatoes – peeled and finely chopped (removing white pith)
- 2 good tsps. coriander seeds – freshly ground
- 1 good tsp. cumin seeds – freshly ground
- 1 tsp. garam masala powder
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
- 20 black pepper corns
- 0.5 – 1 tsp. chilli powder (depends on your taste) – this curry is nice with some chilli heat but not a crazy amount!
- 1 tsp. salt (I use Himalayan)
- approx. 5 tbs. oil (I just use olive oil)
- 5 tbs. plant-based yogurt (I used coconut yogurt)
- 150 ml. water
- Handful of fresh coriander
- Put all the spices, along with the salt and peppercorns in a grinder or pestle and mortar and grind until fine.
- Peel the tomatoes. To do this, incise a small cross at the top and the base of each tomato. Place the tomatoes in a heat-resistant bowl, and then cover with boiling water. Leave for 10 mins. The skin will then slide off the tomato – (avoid burnt fingers!) Discard tomato skin, and then finely chop tomatoes, removing central white pith. Set the chopped tomatoes aside.
- Place the chopped onion, ginger, garlic and water in a blender and whizz until smooth.
- In a wide pan, add the oil, and place on a hot heat. When the oil is hot, add the sliced mushrooms and saute for 5-8 mins. until softly golden.
- Remove the mushrooms to a plate, reduce the heat under the wide pan to medium, and then add the blended onion paste to the pan.
- When the onion paste is hot (no more than 2-3 mins simmer) add the ground spices. Simmer for 30 secs. Stir to avoid burning.
- Add the yogurt, the chopped tomatoes and 150ml. water.
- Bring to a gentle simmer. Add the sautéed mushrooms.
- Stir gently to combine. Taste and adjust flavours accordingly.
- Simmer for about 5 mins.
Serve immediately – scattered with chopped fresh coriander – and accompanied by rice or flat breads!
शान्ति - . .