A Swedish invention, apparently a speciality in a Stockholm Restaurant in an area called Hasselbacken… and just a lovely way to spruce up an everyday baked potato!
They only take a few minutes to do …. with a sharp knife and a steady hand …. and they’re definitely worth it for all that extra crispiness on the outside and lovely mellow potato-ness on the inside … 🙂
You can of course omit the herby garlicky bit and have them plain with salt and pepper, or else scatter with grated vegan cheese for the final 10 mins. of cooking …or chopped spring onions might be nice…
GARLICKY HERBY HASSELBACK POTATOES
- Potatoes : I used large baking potatoes …but this will work with all sorts of potatoes including new potatoes… (cooking times will vary according to potato size)
- 2 tbs. oil (I used olive oil)
- 0.5 – 1 tsp. salt
- 0.5 – 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 15 gms. mixed fresh herbs / or 3 tbs. mixed dried herbs
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 tbs. vegan spread suitable for baking
- Pre-heat the oven to Gas Mk. 8 / 230C
- Place 2 tbs. of oil in a baking tray and place in the oven to heat up for 10 mins. while preparing the potatoes.
- Wash the potatoes and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Make cuts into the potato that go vertically down …. almost…but not quite though the potato. Make the cuts 3-4 ml. apart.
- When the baking tray is hot, remove from the oven and place the potatoes in the tray, cut side up. Baste the potatoes with the hot oil in the tray and return to the oven.
- After 20 mins. remove the potatoes from the oven and baste again.
- As the potatoes cook, the slices will begin to fan out.
- After 20 mins. repeat the basting process, teasing the oil into the cuts with the basting brush.
- Depending on the size of the potatoes, repeat basting process again after 20 mins.
- Finely chop the fresh herbs if using.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves.
- Mix crushed garlic, herbs, (fresh or dried) salt and pepper with vegan spread.
- Ten minutes befor the end of cooking, remove potatoes from the oven and baste with garlic/herb spread. Again, tease it into the slices with the brush.
- Return to the oven for 10 mins.
Serve with whatever you fancy… a crunchy salad … baked beans…. roasted tomatoes… vegan mayo … ketchup….