This is my vegan take on a traditional Syrian Dish – Stuffed Aubergines, Baked in a Tomato Sauce.
Cooking for Peace.
AUBERGINES, STUFFED WITH GARLICKY MUSHROOMS, BAKED IN A TOMATO SAUCE. SERVED WITH COUS-COUS.
- 1 large aubergine
- 1tbs. salt
- 300gms. tomatoes
- 200gms. mushrooms
- half an onion
- 3 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbs.tomato puree
- 8o ml. water
- 5-6 tbs.olive oil
- dash of lemon juice
- pinch of sugar
- small pinch of salt
- 2-3 tbs. oregano – fresh or dried ( a bit more if fresh)
- 3tbs. breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs. nutritional yeast (optional)
- 120gms. cous-cous
- 250ml. boiling hot water
- Slice the aubergine in half, then make three incisions lengthwise into each half of the aubergine, so the aubergine flattens out a little, but the skin of the aubergine remains in one piece.
- Smother the aubergine flesh in I tbs. salt, and leave for half an hour. This helps remove the bitter taste of the aubergine.
- After half an hour, wash the aubergine thoroughly, and pat dry with kitchen towel.
- Chop the mushrooms roughly, but fairly finely.
- Finely chop 1/2 onion.
- Crush three cloves of garlic.
- Prick the tomato skins in several places, and place them in a deep bowl and immerse them in boiling water for 10 mins.
- In a wide heavy pan, add 2 tbs. olive oil and place on a high heat. Fry the aubergines 5 mins. each side.
- Press the aubergines down from time to time with a frying spatula.
- Remove aubergines from the heat, and place in a lightly-oiled ceramic oven-proof dish: approx 24cm x 24 cm.
- Remove the skins from the tomatoes, and thoroughly mash them with a fork or blitz them briefly in a blender.
- Transfer tomato pulp to a small saucepan and add tomato puree, dash of lemon juice, pinch of sugar + small pinch of salt, and 1 tbs. dried oregano + 80 ml. water.
- Warm through. 5 mins. Then remove from heat. Set aside.
- On a high heat, using a wide heavy pan, add 3 tbs. olive oil.
- Fry chopped onions – 3 mins.
- Add mushrooms – fry – 5 mins.
- Add 3 garlic cloves, crushed – fry further 2 mins.
- Spoon garlicky mushrooms on to the aubergine halves.
- Spoon tomato sauce over and around stuffed aubergines.
- Mix 3 tbs. breadcrumbs, 2 tbs. oregano and 1 tbs. nutritional yeast together, and sprinkle over aubergines.
- Place in a pre-heated oven Gas Mk6 / 200C – 30 mins.
- After the aubergines have been baking for 15 mins. Place 120gms. cos-cous in a deep bowl, and pour on 250ml. boiling water. Cover and leave for 15 mins.
- Fluff up the cous-cous with a fork when ready to serve.
- And that’s it.
Serve piping hot.